Laura Basem Jacobs
Admitted to Practice
• District of Columbia
Laura Basem Jacobs’ practice centers on insurance law, with a concentration in insurance fraud, representation of insurance carriers against extra-contractual claims including “bad faith” litigation, and representation of insurance agents. Ms. Jacobs also has extensive trial experience in general liability defense and insurance coverage issues arising under homeowner, automobile, umbrella, business, contractor, and general comprehensive liability policies.
- Judicial Law Clerk, The Honorable Gregory E. Mize,
Associate Judge, District of Columbia Superior Court
- George Washington University
Member, The George Washington University Law Review
Juris Doctor, 1994
- University of Delaware
Bachelor of Arts, 1991
Professional and Civic Activities
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association
- Mock Trial: “Poof! It’s Gone,” Presenter, demonstrating litigation process and issues of insurance contract rescission, fraud, breach of contract and negligent misrepresentation, at Capital “I” Day Seminar, Rockville, Maryland, March 20, 2009.
- Mock Trial: “Doggiebots Gone Wild,” Presenter, demonstrating litigation process and issues of insurance contract interpretation, commercial endorsements, agency duties, underwriting duties, breach of contract and representations on applications, at Capital “I” Day Seminar, Rockville, Maryland, March 14, 2014.
Honors and Awards
“2009 Rising Star”, Maryland Super Lawyers
- State of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia